Thursday 21 November 2013

SOUTHERN STEW

Southern New Year's Stew (aka hug in a bowl)

I had to recommend this vegan cookbook by Robin Robertson. Even if your not a vegan and just looking for some cheap, healthy and hearty recipes this book is a must! The author is American but once you learn that cilantro is coriander and zucchini is a courgette your pretty much up to speed. I've made a few dishes from this so far and they've all turned out really tasty, with plenty of healthy wholesome ingredients to see you through the winter months. 

Considering the meals are cheap to make (although not when you buy the ingredients organic from Wholefoods - oops) they give you plenty of leftovers for the next day, so it's great if your a lazy cook like me! I've also found the recipes really easy to follow and make, I don't enjoy cooking that much (I'm much more of a baker) so it's nice to know I can just pick up this book and know I'm not going to end up crying into my cilantro (it's rubbing off on me). 

I'm yet to try the sweets and dessert section of the book so I'm a bit excited about that and as soon as I do you'll be the first to know!

Vegan on the Cheap - recipe on pg.76

This recipe for Southern New Year's Stew has been my favourite from the book so far, it's the perfect comfort food dish for winter. The only changes I made were to substitute brown rice for white rice (naughty but that's all we had in the cupboard) and made a full cup of rice instead of 1/2. I also added an extra carrot and an extra stick of celery (to get even more goodness in there). 

Recipe (makes 6 servings):

- 8 ounces of collard greens or dark leafy greens, coarsely chopped 
(about 4 cups)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped (after much debating I realised that's one of the stalks)
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups vegetable stock (I used these)
- 1/2 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Salt
- 1 russet potato, chopped (I just used an organic potato)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed (I used a can)
- Tabasco sauce/hot sauce for serving

To cook the stew: 

I made this slightly different to the recipe instructions as I was hungry and wanted to speed the process up! 

1. I boiled the greens separately for 20 mins and cooked the carrots, onions, celery and garlic in oil, in a separate pan for 5 mins (just as the recipe states). 

2. I then made the rice in a rice cooker and added the stock and seasonings (thyme, pepper and salt) about half way through. 

3. A few minutes later I added all the vegetables along with the drained boiled potato and the black-eyed peas. It should then simmer till the stock water has evaporated but the stew should still have some moisture and not be dry.

4. To top it all off I used hot sauce instead of Tabasco, if you are using Tabasco make sure it's vegan as the regular one has fish in it!

I'm off to go and enjoy my leftovers, let me know if you purchase the book and make any recipes!


No comments:

Post a Comment